Snowshoe

December 17th, 2009  |  Published in bourbon, liqueur, recipes, seasonal, whisk(e)y, yuletide  |  11 Comments

Snowshoe

This recipe is so simple that it almost feels like cheating. Two ingredients, no shaking—really, how much easier does it get? Not much, and yet this is one of our favorite winter warmers. It is even Doctor Cocktail-approved, given that the good doctor himself gave us the formula and the impetus to try this delightful beverage over a year ago. Since then I don’t think I could count how many Snowshoes we’ve made, nor how many empty bottles of peppermint schnapps in the recycling bin have caused our neighbors’ eyebrows to arch. If you’re feeling a chill this yuletide, or if perhaps the holiday cheercheercheer has worn you down, read on. A quick Snowshoe is a warm, cozy balm for your cold, weary self.

1½ oz bourbon
1½ oz peppermint schnapps (Rumpleminze)

Add both spirits to a double old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Stir to combine, top off with more crushed ice to fill and garnish with a mint sprig sprinkled with bar or powdered sugar.

In principle this drink seems to be the illegitimate lovechild of a Stinger and a Mint Julep, but it manages to be neither while capturing some of the best qualities of each. The best way I can describe it is that it makes you feel like you should be lounging by the hearth of an Alpine ski lodge. I, like Herr Doctor, recommend Rumpleminze here because it is an excellent schnapps and it happens to be 100-proof, two qualities which make it a prime candidate for fireside tipples. Normally I am pretty laissez-faire about the use of crushed ice—if I don’t feel like cranking some out of the crusher, I just use cubed. That will not work here, given the rather intense proof and the strong mint flavor. You want the smaller greater surface area of crushed ice to encourage melting, which will produce water to mellow the flavors together and soften the edges. Mix one up on Christmas Eve by the fire, or have one to warm your toes on New Year’s Day. Really, it’s hard to go wrong with a Snowshoe.

Snowshoe

1. deana@lostpastremembered says:

December 18th, 2009at 6:04 am(#)

The photo is so inviting…love the mint with snow! Yum!

2. Dr. Bamboo says:

December 18th, 2009at 11:27 am(#)

I’m going to get schnapps STAT.

December 18th, 2009at 11:30 am(#)

Deana—Thanks! It’s a little bit tricky to drink around, but it makes the drink so pretty it’s hard to resist putting the garnish in.

C—Oh yes you do. I know you would love this one!

4. Sarah says:

December 22nd, 2009at 3:36 pm(#)

I went through a whole bottle of bourbon with these drinks this past weekend. Thanks a lot! ;-)

December 23rd, 2009at 5:26 pm(#)

Glad I could help! Happy Holidays!

6. DJ HawaiianShirt says:

December 28th, 2009at 6:44 am(#)

I believe you meant “greater surface area” of the crushed ice. ;) This looks great. I’m going to (finally) pick up some peppermint schnapps and whip up this puppy.

December 28th, 2009at 9:50 am(#)

Hah! Indeed you are right sir. Apparently I was thinking “small is better” that day. It is a truly great drink—hope you enjoy it!

8. Matthew says:

January 6th, 2010at 10:55 pm(#)

I just saw this blog suggested by Google Reader. This was the first post it popped up. It looked delicious and I happened to have the makings for it. I’m drinking it now – A nice Evan Williams single barrel and Rumpelminze make a delicious combination! Thank you and I look forward to exploring the site.

January 9th, 2010at 9:35 am(#)

Matthew,

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed the Snowshoe and I hope you enjoy the rest of the site.

10. tina says:

February 7th, 2010at 9:18 am(#)

this looks delicious! love the touch with the mint leaves. found your blog off another blog linked on tastespotting.

11. Oh Canada! « The Antifogmatic League says:

February 13th, 2010at 12:22 am(#)

[...] at the League we thought a Snowshoe seemed àpropos.  I recently learned of this drink through SLOSHED! A frosty, yet warming drink, the Snowshoe combines peppermint schnapps with bourbon for the perfect [...]