Housekeeping

January 7th, 2009  |  Published in miscellany  |  9 Comments

Being ill does occasionally have an upside, most particularly when you have a laptop and an electric blanket—inducements which lend themselves to dealing with lingering blog maintenance. Just above you will notice that the formerly defunct “archives” tab has now become the “cocktails” tab, which will take you to a lovely alphabetical index of every cocktail recipe posted on this site. I’ve wanted to do that for a long time, so today is a bit like Christmas all over again.

I’ve also spent a few hours working on the blogroll, eliminating out-of-date links and adding the not-strictly-booze blogs that I read on a daily basis. The “book shelf” and “liquor cabinet” pages have also been updated, which means I am now officially ready to tackle the list of new posts sitting on my desk. Buckle up, buttercups—2009 is gonna be a wild one if this keeps up.

1. Rick says:

January 8th, 2009at 12:16 pm(#)

What a wonderfully simple and useful idea! Perhaps I will steal it. Like, immediately.

Looking through your list led me to your post on the Waikikian; what a tasty drink!

January 8th, 2009at 12:24 pm(#)

Rick,

Thanks! Steal away! I’ve been wanting an easy way to set up cocktail archives, and I found it with this plugin: http://englishmike.net/azindex-plugin/

If you use it with WP2.7, though, you’ll need to make this adjustment to the index page BEFORE you upload and install it: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/228161

The most frustrating part of the whole affair was sorting that out. Once I had that change in place, it just took some CSS tweaking and all was well.

3. Kaiser Penguin » Blog Archive » My Liquor Cabinet… What am I missing? says:

January 9th, 2009at 6:34 pm(#)

[...] Penguin more fun and accessible. Marleigh over at Sloshed! gave me a kick in the pants with her post on housekeeping. I don’t want to promise anything, but here are some [...]

4. papavb says:

January 10th, 2009at 6:07 am(#)

Fantastic site, I would love to see a picture of your bar if possible because I’m thinking of setting up my own. If it isn’t too much trouble of course

January 10th, 2009at 11:21 am(#)

Actually I’m in the process of getting a bigger bar setup (I managed to outgrow my current arrangement a few months ago). Once I have everything in place I will definitely be posting photos of it. In the meantime, you can use the “liquor cabinet” tab above to see what I have in the bar, even though you can’t see it.

Cheers!

6. Michael Dietsch says:

January 19th, 2009at 9:41 am(#)

Marleigh,

Looks like the plugin developer has already fixed the bug you described to Rick. I opened the admin.php file to make the edit, and it was already accounted for with a bit of code that checks whether you’re using WP 2.7.

January 21st, 2009at 10:46 am(#)

Sweet. Now we’re just working on how to make entries with multiple recipes publish under multiple letters.

8. tim says:

February 2nd, 2009at 1:01 pm(#)

it doesnt work at the moment!

February 2nd, 2009at 1:45 pm(#)

Thanks for the note, Tim. It’s all fixed!