Historic Los Angeles Bar Tour

August 28th, 2008  |  Published in bars, events  |  6 Comments

Polo Lounge Cocktail

There are times when writing this blog allows me access to events that I otherwise would only dream about attending. Tales of the Cocktail, for instance, was an amazing experience that would have been intensely cost-prohibitive without Sloshed! Just recently, I was invited to take part in an event being billed as the Historic Los Angeles Bar Tour, sponsored by Plymouth Gin and led by Dave Wondrich, among others.

As you might imagine, I had to make sure I wasn’t seeing things when that invitation dropped into my inbox. It turned out I wasn’t hallucinating, so I loaded onto a bus with 29 other assorted bartenders and boozehounds for a day of touring the historic locales of cocktails past, back in the days when Los Angeles was the trendsetter on the national bartending scene.

Rather than write it all up here, though, I kept my camera snapping all day long and have put together a post in pictures so that everyone can live the magic—without the hangover.

1. erik_flannestad says:

August 28th, 2008at 12:47 pm(#)

Oh man! So jealous!

Why do these sorts of things never happen in San Francisco?

2. Wendy Miller says:

August 28th, 2008at 2:12 pm(#)

Words can not say how green with envy I am! Very fun and great photos!!!

3. Dood says:

August 29th, 2008at 2:39 pm(#)

Seriously? I want to go! Make them do it again, but this time add in Dood for extra funness.

September 3rd, 2008at 9:29 am(#)

I’m glad you guys enjoyed the pictures, but I’m sorry you couldn’t join us! It was a lot of fun and very informative (the parts I remember, anyway), so hopefully there will be more events like this coming in the future…

Sorry you didn’t get invited this round, Matt. Next time Chuck and I will try to work our mojo and get you an invite!

5. caramia says:

September 9th, 2008at 2:01 pm(#)

Thought you might like to know about a new bar opening. It says sometime in October 2008 but not exactly when:

Silver Lake is going to have its very own truck stop. No big rigs out front. No lot lizards lurking about. Just a little bar named “Stinkers.” Think Smokey and the Bandit. Burt Reynolds, Trans Am, CB radios, Coors and of course a mascot “Stinker’s” skunk or two. It’ll have all the rock n’ roll and punk music you love but with a bit of “East Bound and Down” mixed in. Pabst Blue Ribbon lovin’ Bobby Green, creator of the Bigfoot Lodge (Los Angeles & San Francisco), Little Cave, Lucky Tiki and Saints & Sinners shows us his 1970’s Midwestern roots with this latest theme bar. Opening October 2008. Expect a few surprises.

6. Turd Ferguson says:

September 9th, 2008at 2:43 pm(#)

They’re bringing back the wrong iconography from the 70s to use in their bar–how about a pub based on the Vietnam war? That way, the trust-fund hipster garbage can openly mock not only the working class people that fought for America, but the truly poverty stricken (and decidedly not very white) people of a third world country AT THE SAME TIME? I mean, having a laugh at those poor rubes in Middle America while appropriating their fashion and bad taste in beer is so 2004; the future of privileged, self-congratulatory irony is thinly disguised contempt for poor rubes worldwide. Drinks named after chemical warfare agents? How about rice hats with clever sayings? Child prostitute waitresses? Think of the possibilities!