Violet Fizz

May 23rd, 2008  |  Published in gin, liqueur, mixers, recipes  |  9 Comments

Hopefully you’re as excited as I am about the triumphant return of créme de violette. While the Blue Moon was a lovely drink, it was a bit of a disappointment (comparatively speaking). So, to make up for that, I bring you a long weekend gift in the form of the Violet Fizz.

Those of you who do the cocktail blog rounds will remember this drink from Jamie Boudreau and Paul Clarke, and readers of Imbibe might remember this from one of Dr. Cocktail’s articles. It’s a simple preparation that makes a lovely light little drink that nicely highlights the herbal, floral nature of créme de violette.

I’ve discussed the history of the fizz before, but I’ll recap a bit: A cousin of the sour family, it is a simple mix of liquor, citrus juice (generally lemon) and carbonated water. The Violet Fizz is a variation on the ever-popular gin fizz, which is composed of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and soda water. The inclusion of egg is a common variation on the fizz theme, which also results in a new class of names: “silver” if you use egg white, “gold” for egg yolk, “royal” for a whole egg. If you work an egg white into the Violet Fizz, it becomes the Fizz a lá Violette. Which is probably more than you needed to know, but you can knock ‘em dead with trivial cocktail knowledge over barbeque on Sunday.

1 oz fresh lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
1½ oz gin
½ oz creme de violette
soda water

Shake first four ingredients well over ice. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice and top with soda water.

As previously noted, this is a simple drink. It isn’t going to shake the foundation of cocktails, but it is a great way to use créme de violette. When I tasted the violette on its own, I was a little underwhelmed—it’s not nearly as floral as I was expecting, and not very sweet. After tangling with the Blue Moon, I wasn’t really sure I was going to like violette, as it was just too subtle in that preparation. This drink, though, does a much better job of asserting the flavor of violets without allowing it to become overwhelming. Definitely a lovely drink for lunchtime or afternoon which, of course, is perfect for a long weekend. Sköl, and have a great holiday!

1. michelle @ TNS says:

May 24th, 2008at 8:47 pm(#)

i have no idea what creme de violette is, but that looks like a tasty summer treat.

2. Jacob says:

May 26th, 2008at 8:22 pm(#)

Thanks, tried this out last night. It does make for a nice, simple, refreshing drink.

I’m lucky to have two brands of creme de violette at home: the Rothman and Winter and Deniset Klainguer. You’re right about the R&W: it’s less sweet than I expected, with kind of musty aroma. The DK, in contrast, is all sweetness and floral scents. Brand makes a big difference if you’re sampling them straight. But in a cocktail, the Rothman does pretty well.

3. Chris says:

May 28th, 2008at 5:34 pm(#)

Nice post on a nice cocktail – a great one to beat the approaching summer heat for sure!

Out of curiosity – I linked to this post in a recent (largely unrelated) posting on my own blog. Is this ok by you?

Cheers!

4. Scott says:

May 29th, 2008at 12:32 am(#)

Hey, what’s that nifty garnish you’re using?

May 29th, 2008at 8:37 am(#)

Michelle,

Créme de violette is a liqueur made from violets. It’s a beautiful purple color with a floral/herbal scent and flavor.

Jacob,

Where did you find your other bottle of violette? Most of the others I know about have to be mail ordered from distant lands at great expense.

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up about the link. No, I don’t mind and nice blog! I’ll be sure to put you on the blogroll.

Scott,

In a fit of inspiration, I grabbed some fresh thyme for the garnish. It actually played really well, being a very “spring” type of scent.

6. Chris says:

May 29th, 2008at 11:43 am(#)

Cheers & Thanks!

Love the Thyme garnish also. That’s just used as an ‘aromatic garnish’ though – kind of like the Mint in a Mai-Tai, right?

May 29th, 2008at 8:17 pm(#)

Chris,

Yes, it is definitely an aromatic garnish. Fresh thyme is pretty intense, so it would ruin the drink if you nibbled on it.

8. Jacob says:

May 29th, 2008at 9:39 pm(#)

Hi Marleigh,

Yep, that’s exactly what I did! I got it here:

My main purpose was getting the Perique, a tobacco liqueur that’s not available (as far as I know) anywhere in the US. Adding another bottle didn’t change the shipping price at all, so I couldn’t resist throwing some creme de violette in there as well.

9. turkey and…. violets??? « The Red Shaker says:

April 6th, 2010at 9:27 am(#)

[...] first drink was a Violet Fizz, which we tweaked a bit using vodka rather then gin (‘cuz we are vodka girls, not gin [...]