Flor de Baya

March 4th, 2008  |  Published in housemade, mixers, recipes, tequila  |  6 Comments

Flor de Baya

Since I managed to completely flake on last month’s Mixology Monday, I’m posting a drink that was posted by Jeffrey for the Variations event. I know, I know—another Jeff Morgenthaler post?!?! Don’t I read any other cocktail blogs?

The answer is, of course, yes. If you could see my daily cocktail RSS feeds you would probably goggle a bit. I stopped counting at fifty, so I couldn’t even give you an accurate count of how many blogs I read on any given day. Be that as it may, it is nevertheless a coincidence that I made the Flor de Baya so soon after the Richmond Gimlet. Jeff just happened to post the recipe right after I found both a bag of fresh cranberries in my freezer and a bottle of Sauza lurking in the back of my bar. I chose to take that convergence as a sign…but then again, it doesn’t take much to encourage me to take up the shaker. Or the beaker, as the case may be when making a gastrique.

2 oz Sauza Hornitos tequila
¾ oz fresh lime juice
½ oz simple syrup
2 barspoons cranberry gastrique (recipe follows)

Boil 1½ cups white vinegar with 1½ cups sugar, 10 oz fresh cranberries, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, 1 star anise and 4 cloves for 20 minutes, using a wooden spoon to help break up cranberries. Strain mixture through cheesecloth, bottle and refrigerate.

Shake ingredients over cracked ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lime.

To be honest, while I was expecting this drink to be high quality, because its genesis was the tequila Cosmo I didn’t have high hopes for it. Fortunately, in the way of many things in my life, in that assumption I was wrong. The body and flavor that are imparted by the gastrique really take this somewhere special. The tartness of the vinegar-cranberry mixture coordinates with the peppery nature of the tequila—quite the opposite of, for example, Cointreau in a margarita—and the sugar mellows out those edges to keep it from being harsh. All in all, it’s a lovely drink that doesn’t hide the natural characteristics of the tequila but harmonizes them instead. I see many of these to come in the summer months.

Flor de Baya

1. Stacy says:

March 5th, 2008at 4:50 am(#)

That’s such a gorgeous picture!

2. Paul Neureiter says:

March 5th, 2008at 8:39 am(#)

You need a new freezer.

Or, to put it another way, I don’t think I believe you when you say you found “fresh” cranberries in there.

Nice drink though.

March 5th, 2008at 9:55 am(#)

Stacy—Thank you!

Paul—They were fresh before I put them in the freezer to keep them from going bad!

4. Jeffrey Morgenthaler says:

March 5th, 2008at 12:57 pm(#)

I can’t believe someone other than myself actually went to the trouble of making cranberry gastrique! Gorgeous photos, I’m glad you liked the drink, Marleigh.

Jeffrey

March 6th, 2008at 7:10 pm(#)

It sounded easy and was even easier to make, plus it has given me an excuse to use cranberry gastrique with pretty much every liquor in the cabinet. I’ve met with varying degrees of success, but this one was definitely the best.

Thanks for the recipe!

6. Bourbon Renewal | cocktailista.com says:

May 14th, 2009at 8:44 am(#)

[...] a very big secret that we’re a Morgenthaler-loving household. I’ve written about quite a few of Jeff’s cocktails here in pretty glowing terms, though I try to keep the adjectives to a [...]